So I’ve been working on this too long now! I started with Boris’ old post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/boris_yanushpolsky/archive/2008/10/26/populating-groups-from-external-sources.aspx) and after some effort got it to work with SCOM 2012. I also did some minor additions (description fields, etc.) to make the BPA happier.
One thing to note is that this uses some of the older (i.e. 2007) functionality that is still present in SCOM 2012. There are some schema changes in 2012 that I am NOT taking advantage of.
The discovery I used looks for the members (assumes they are servers) of a given AD group. I tried to make the group DN a passed in variable, but then I realized it won’t make my life much easier since I’ll have to manually create the rest of the MP for each group I create. I plan on expanding this MP to include roughly 200 groups…
Take the attached file, copy the contents into Notepad, etc. and save as an XML.